- This event has passed.
April 2 @ 09:30 - 14:00
Allington Lock to East Farleigh
Tour starts from the car park at Allington Lock, paddling down the river Medway to East Farleigh and back. The total distance is about 9/10 miles, there are no portages but you can get out to stretch your legs at East Farleigh. There is a very handy pub on the opposite bank at the start/finish point so we can book a table and get some lunch if anyone fancies it. (Please let the organiser know).
Paddlers should be self-sufficient but please indicate whether a club boat is required for paddlers who do not have their own equipment.
We meet at Allington Lock ME16 0LU at 9:30 to be on the water at 10:00, please allow enough time to unload and get ready. It’s an Environment Agency run car park that costs about £4.00 a day, stop at the lock keepers office just before the barrier and pay him by card, he’ll raise the barrier and you can drive a short distance along to parking area. Please make sure you have your BC membership card with you as they have been known to ask to see them in the past. There are toilets at the car park.
For more information and to book your space on the tour, email the organiser with your name, contact telephone number, emergency contact number and state whether you will be taking your own boat or wish to borrow a club boat.
Information, changes and updates about this tour will be posted on the club website and\or Facebook page, and also on the club noticeboard.
Please note the following:
- This tour is considered suitable for paddlers who have recently completed the BC Discovery award.
- For tour safety, this trip is restricted to 16 paddlers maximum. Regrettably, if you don’t put your name down but turn up on the day and there are already 16 paddlers, we will have to turn you away. If the tour is oversubscribed, please contact the tour leader 24 hours before the tour, as there are sometimes cancellations.
- Paddlers should bring their National Governing Body membership card and be of at least BC Discovery standard or equivalent. They should also bring with them their usual safety kit.
By signing up to this tour, the paddler accepts the following consent conditions:
- I understand that the qualified coaches leading the tour will make dynamic risk assessments during the tour and agree to abide by any decisions they make, including cancelling\curtailing the tour if they decide the risks compromise the safety of the Touring members.
- Under 16s must be under the supervision of an adult coach or parent/guardian whilst on the tour.
- A boat sticker is included in the membership fee & additional Stickers can be purchased for use by club members. The sticker provided entitles you to free navigation of the Chelmer and Blackwater Canal (Failure to display may result in the Canal Company charging the individual additional fees). For tours not on the Chelmer and Blackwater Canal, membership of the National Governing Body is required and must be shown to the tour organiser.
- Boats and equipment may be hired by arrangement with the Equipment Officer or the relevant club section.
- Copies of the Club constitution & rules are displayed on the Club noticeboard and can be obtained from the Club secretary (the cost of printing these may be charged).
As part of my membership of CHELMSFORD CANOE CLUB, I understand that canoeing can be a hazardous activity, and is undertaken at my own risk. I confirm that I have read the constitution and the rules of the club, and that any property left at the Club or taken on the tour will be entirely at my own risk. I understand that I may be liable for any damage to Club equipment that is hired to me. I also confirm that I am able to swim 50 metres in clothing.