Mersey Island Charity Kayak Race
The RNLI Mersey Island branch is organising a charity fund raising paddle around Mersey Island on Saturday 27th August. Paddlers need to be self-sufficient. You should have ideally previously experienced paddling on tidal water, be confident to paddle 12 miles and proficient in rescuing.
]We are launching from Coopers Beach Caravan Park in East Mersey, CO5 8TN and will be paddling clockwise around the Island. Meet at Clubhouse beach at 10.00am and we will be setting off as soon as the tide is high enough. High tide is at 1.29pm so bear in mind this is an all day paddle. Please bring lunch with you, as there is nowhere to buy food at the lunch stop.
There is limited parking on site, so where possible please double up with someone else to keep the number of cars to a minimum.
As this is a charity fundraising paddle, we are asking for all participants to ideally obtain some sponsorship for this event. Alternatively, we will ask for a minimum of £20 donation for each person taking part, which will be collected on the day.
For more information and to book your space on the tour, email the organiser with your name, contact telephone number, emergency contact number, and please state whether you are bringing a car.
Information, changes and updates about this tour will be posted on the club website and/or Facebook page, and also on the club noticeboard.
Please note the following:
- This tour is NOT considered suitable for paddlers who have recently completed the BC Discovery award. You should have ideally previously experienced paddling on tidal water, be confident to paddle 12 miles and proficient in rescuing.
- Paddlers should bring their National Governing Body membership card and their usual safety kit.
By signing up to this tour, the paddler accepts the following consent conditions:
- I understand that the qualified coaches leading the tour will make dynamic risk assessments during the tour and agree to abide by any decisions they make, including cancelling\curtailing the tour if they decide the risks compromise the safety of the Touring members.
- Under 16s must be under the supervision of an adult coach or parent/guardian whilst on the tour.
- A boat sticker is included in the membership fee & additional Stickers can be purchased for use by club members. The sticker provided entitles you to free navigation of the Chelmer and Blackwater Canal (Failure to display may result in the Canal Company charging the individual additional fees). For tours not on the Chelmer and Blackwater Canal, membership of the National Governing Body is required and must be shown to the tour organiser.
- Boats and equipment may be hired by arrangement with the Equipment Officer or the relevant club section.
- Copies of the Club constitution & rules are displayed on the Club noticeboard and can be obtained from the Club secretary (the cost of printing these may be charged).
As part of my membership of CHELMSFORD CANOE CLUB, I understand that canoeing can be a hazardous activity, and is undertaken at my own risk. I confirm that I have read the constitution and the rules of the club, and that any property left at the Club or taken on the tour will be entirely at my own risk. I understand that I may be liable for any damage to Club equipment that is hired to me. I also confirm that I am able to swim 50 metres in clothing.